Friday 26 November 2010

Our opinion


So far we were trying to be as objective as possible, relying only on facts and data. This is our last entry and as a final accord we'd like to share our personal opinions with you...

'The prefabricated triangles that compose the buildings facade, is the main feature of the buildings identity. The light from the surrounding buildings reflects on to the brushed triangular by night, transforming the facade to a color full jewel. It's one of the more eye catching
features of the area'.



'After studying the Bermondsey Bike store closely, I feel that the originality in its intriguing design contributes to the square as a whole, and makes it more interesting. If I had to be in any way critical about the structure, I would say that it might be going a little overboard, and may seem too fancy for the simple purpose it is made to function as, bike storage. However the fact that the store’s design and materiality is directly influenced from its surrounding environemnt, makes me feel that its qualities compliment the square greatly, as well as generating life and excitement to the area'.

'To me the building has remained discursive and questionable. When I saw it first time, I thought "Nice, but what for? Though, perhaps, the idea of bike storing must be really helpful for some people". With the course of the project, I became subjective and started loving it. Its chameleon skin is just amazing: a diamond in a day time and a flaming fire in the night, an incredible adornment of surroundings. Later, I discovered that the public doesn’t like it at all. Some people believe, it is too expensive, some - useless and majority just doesn’t like modern architecture in general. Personally I have to agree with many former points to a great extent. If you look inside the Store, you will find out that it is almost empty. So, though the design solution is just wonderful, I can not stop asking myself: "Do we really need such a piece of architecture?"'


'I feel the design of Bermondsey bike store is a success to the regeneration of the area of Bermondsey as a whole. The area immediately becomes more welcoming to visitors and is an eye catching landmark of which is closely linked to the antique market. What I find most fascinating about this building is its manipulation of light and how it’s dispersed along the stainless steel cladding. The collaboration of plastic, wood and metal is combined coherently to communicate the striking structure that is Bermondsey bike store'.

We also expressed our experience of the Bike Store in drawings




Remember, our opinions are just opinions. We are much more interested in what you think. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment